Cherimoya Crème Brulee
Serving Size_________ Portions_39
20 oz sugar
3 vanilla bean
1 pinch Salt
28 egg yolks
8 cups Cherimoya puree
1. Combine thecream, 12 oz of the sugar, and salt in a heavy stainless steel sauce pan andbring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring gently with a wooden spoon. Removefrom heat. Split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the pod, add both thepod and scrapings to the pan, cover, and steep for 15 minutes.
2. Return tothe heat and and bring the cream to a gentle boil
3. Wisk theremaining 8 oz of sugar and the Cherimoya purée with the egg yolks
4. Temper thecream with egg yolk mixture
6. bake at 325degrees, in a water bath until just set about 20-30 minutes
7. remove fromoven and wipe the ramekin clean set aside to cool
8. To finishthe crème brullee, evenly coat each custard’s surface with a thin layerof sugar. Use a propane torch to melt and caramelize the sugar.
Chef Instructorcoordinator Paul Heerlein
HawaiiCommunity College – West Hawaii