Cherimoya Crème Brulee
Serving Size_________ Portions_39
20 oz sugar
3 vanilla bean
1 pinch Salt
28 egg yolks
8 cups Cherimoya puree
1. Combine the cream, 12 oz of the sugar, and salt in a heavy stainless steel sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring gently with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat. Split the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the pod, add both the pod and scrapings to the pan, cover, and steep for 15 minutes.
2. Return to the heat and and bring the cream to a gentle boil
3. Wisk the remaining 8 oz of sugar and the Cherimoya purée with the egg yolks
4. Temper the cream with egg yolk mixture
6. bake at 325 degrees, in a water bath until just set about 20-30 minutes
7. remove from oven and wipe the ramekin clean set aside to cool
8. To finish the crème brullee, evenly coat each custard’s surface with a thin layer of sugar. Use a propane torch to melt and caramelize the sugar.
Chef Instructor coordinator Paul Heerlein
Hawaii Community College – West Hawaii