Serving Size: 6
FLAN AT GATA
Flan with coconut milk
1 & 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
2 cups coconut milk
6 egg yolks
4 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
6 tbl. Brown Sugar
Pre- heat oven to 300 f
1) Stir ¾ cup of the sugar into the water in a heavy, medium saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, until the carmel mixture turns deep amber. Swirl the pan occasionally, and cook for about 10 min. Brush the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to keep the sugar crystals from forming. Pour ¾ of the caramel into 6, ¾ cups, dividing evenly, to just cover the bottom.
2) Stir the coconut milk into the caramel remaining in the pan.
3) Place over low heat and stir continuously until all the caramel is dissolved.
4) In a bowl, combine the egg yolks and the egg whites and beat together lightly till mixed thoroughly.
5) Add the remaining 1 cup of sugar, the lemon juice, the coconut milk and the caramel mixture and mix together well.
6) Strain this custard through a cheese cloth and pour it over the caramel in the cups. Place the cups in a large baking pan.
7) Pour enough hot water into the pan to come half way up the sides of the cups.
8) Bake 1 ½ hours, or until the custards are almost always set but still slightly soft in the center.
9) remove from pan and let cool completely
10) Before serving sprinkle one tab. of Brown sugar over the tops and propane torch to form a nice crust of melted sugar over the custard.
Scoop out cherimoya pulp- remove seeds
2 Cups of Pulp
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Cup Pomegranate Puree
(All above is to be cooked over medium high heat for approx. 10 min., allow to come to a boil)
18 0z. sugar
(Above- cook over double boiler till 150 * F)
Add 1/2 cup hot egg mix to cherimoya sauce, then
Add rest of sauce to eggs.