(taken from theProtocol that is signed by all the venues listed in the Eating Out Project)
0. It is indispensableto knowexactlywhat foods arepermitted, forbidden and at risk. This is explained during theA.I.C. basic courses and indicated in the didactic material and in the A.I.C.Food and Drink Handbook. This knowledge is necessary when purchasingsupplies and for understanding properly when a menu is gluten-free.
0. It is indispensablefor the staff of the venue to know exactly what to do to make sure that nocontamination to the food served to the celiac customer takes place.
The general and particular rules for each type of venueare listed here below
Rules for Restaurants, Pizza Restaurantsand Hotel Restaurants:
0. THE FOODPREPARATION AREA MUST BE CLEAN AND USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD: it is necessary forthe dishes to be prepared in such a way as to exclude any contact with foodcontaining gluten. The preparation area for gluten-free food must be thoroughlycleaned of any possible residues of previous preparation of food containinggluten, best if it is exclusively used for the preparation of gluten-freefood.
0. CLEANCLOTHES/UNIFORM OR DISPOSABLE OVERALLS/APRON: the staff dealingwith the preparation of the gluten-free food must wear clean clothes/uniformsthat are not contaminated (above all not with flour), or disposableoveralls/apron kept in a clean cupboard must be worn over the usual clothes.
0. CLEAN HANDS:afterworking in any way with food that contains gluten the staff must always washtheir hands thoroughly.
0. CLEANEQUIPMENT OR EQUIPMENT ONLY USED FOR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD: the machinery,equipment (eg pans, baking-pans/dishes, grill, fryer, griddle, mixer), cutlery(eg spatulas, knives, spoons, ladles, can-openers), containers must not becontaminated by foods that contain gluten: before using them for “gluten-free”food they must be thoroughly washed; if they are used exclusively forgluten-free food they must be stored in clean or closed areas.
0. NO SHAREDCOOKING WATER: gluten-free food must be cooked in containers that are separatefrom those used for other foods: gluten-free food must not be cooked in a panwhich has not been washed after being used for previous preparations and inwater where pasta containing gluten has been boiled. Cooking water which hasbeen used for pasta containing gluten must not be added during the preparationof risottos, sauces or other dishes, nor must it be utilised for boiling riceor vegetables for the celiac customer(s).
0. DO NOT USEOIL ALREADY UTILISED FOR GLUTEN-CONTAINING FOODS: the oil used forfrying must be devoted exclusively to the cooking of gluten-free foods, and itmust not therefore be used also for frying food containing gluten.
0. NOMULTI-PURPOSE COOKING BASKETS: do not use multi-purpose cooking baskets ifthey are utilised for cooking food containing gluten.
0. IDENTIFICATIONSYSTEM FOR GLUTEN-FREE DISHES: bags and hermetically sealed containersused for conserving gluten-free food (also in the fridge or in the freezer)must be clearly labelled: alternatively, it is possible to utilise containersof a different colour that can be clearly identified.
0. AVOIDCOOKING GLUTEN-FREE FOOD IN THE OVEN AT THE SAME TIME AS FOOD CONTAININGGLUTEN: it is advisable not to cook gluten-free food in the ovenat the same time as food containing gluten, and it is necessary to take intoaccount the characteristics of the type of oven present in the venue.
Rules for Pizza Restaurants (in addition to the rulesalready listed above):
0. SEPARATE ANDUNCONTAMINATED WORK AREA: it is necessary to create a laboratory thatis totally separate from the other work spaces, or dedicate an area forgluten-free food preparation which is totally separate with respect to wherefood containing gluten is worked. If this is not possible, the work surfacemust be carefully and thoroughly cleaned.
0. SPECIALEQUIPMENT: the machinery, equipment, accessories (aluminium baking pans)and ingredients necessary for the production of gluten-free pizza must beabsolutely distinct and separate (covered or closed in a cupboard) to guaranteethat they will not be contaminated.
0. NOMULTI-PURPOSE USE OF THE OVEN (A DUAL OVEN IS PREFERABLE): this solution meansthat it is not necessary to interrupt the production of pizzas containinggluten in order to cook the gluten-free one(s), thus also avoiding lengthywaiting times, besides guaranteeing that no contamination takes place duringcooking.
0. USE BAKINGPANS WITH HIGH SIDES: if there is only one oven available, it is necessary tostop cooking pizzas with gluten and the gluten-free pizza must not be placeddirectly on the base of the oven. The gluten-free pizza must be isolated fromflour by cooking it in a baking pan with high sides; moreover, risky manoeuvressuch as passing the floury pizza paddle over the gluten-free pizza must beavoided.
0. SEPARATEINGREDIENTS FOR PIZZA TOPPING: do not use the same topping ingredients thatare used for pizzas containing gluten, which have been touched with flouryhands, spoons or other utensils (sauce, mozzarella, oregano, various toppings,etc.).
0. USEMOZZARELLA FOR TOPPING: besides mozzarella it is possible to use otherindustrial cheeses which melt, so long as they are present in the AIC Food andDrink Handbook (in Italian: AIC Prontuario degli alimenti).
Rules for Waiters/Waitresses:
0. CLEAN HANDS: after any contactwith food containing gluten the staff must always wash their handsthoroughly.
0. BEWARE OFCRUMBS AND BREAD: make sure that the tablecloth does not have any crumb residues,and do not place the bread on the tablecloth next to the celiac customer(s).
0. INFORMEDSTAFF FOR SERVING THE CELIAC CUSTOMER: the informed person must be able toadvise the celiac(s) about the dishes that are suitable; he/she must serve theceliac customer(s) in a natural manner, avoiding errors in attitude ormanoeuvres that can make them feel ill at ease.
0. CLEARLYMARKED PLATE: above all during the busiest times, to prevent the risk ofplates (with gluten-containing and gluten-free food) being swapped round bymistake, we recommend a clear means of identification, for example somedecoration or little flag.
Rules for Ice-cream Parlours:
0. CLEAN HANDS: after working withany food that may contain gluten the staff must always wash their handsthoroughly.
0. CLEAN ORSPECIFIC EQUIPMENT: thoroughly wash surfaces and utensils previously used for thepreparation of ice-creams not suitable for celiac customers.
0. WEAR CLEANCLOTHES which are not contaminated with products containing gluten.
0. AVOID production processesthat include ice-creams not suitable for celiac customers; use only ingredientsthat are naturally gluten-free and products present in the AIC Food and DrinkHandbook (in Italian: AIC Prontuario degli Alimenti).
0. NO REMAKINGPROCEDURES are allowed.
0. GLUTEN-FREEICE-CREAM must not have other ingredients added to them which are notsuitable for celiac customers (such as wafers, granulated biscuit, sponge cake,Torrone/nougat etc.)
0. GLUTEN-FREEICE-CREAM must be served using specific utensils and incups/tubs/containers or in cones/wafers which have been approved as gluten-freeby the Italian Ministry of Health. Equipment (ice-cream spades, spatulas,scoops etc.) that have been contaminated with ice-cream or products that arenot suitable for celiacs must not be used.
0. GLUTEN-FREEICE-CREAM CUPS/TUBS/CONTAINERS must be placed well separated from ice-creamthat is not suitable for celiacs.
0. THE VARIOUSFLAVOURS OF GLUTEN-FREE ICE-CREAM should be clearly written on the container(such as on a label, or signalled with a little flag).
Rules for preparing a gluten-free breakfast (for BED &BREAKFASTS and HOTELS)
0. Clean hands
0. Clean tablecloth(without crumbs)
0. Clean apron
0. Clean kitchenwareand tableware
0. Food baskets whichhave not previously been used for bread with gluten, or baskets lined with aclean napkin
0. A specificsugar-bowl (if present)
0. The toaster (ifpresent) must never have been used for ordinary bread containing gluten
0. Prepare a separatecupboard for products and containers for celiac consumers
VERY IMPORTANT: IF A BARLEY COFFEE DISK HAS BEEN USED PREVIOUSLYIN THE EXPRESSO COFFEE MACHINE IT IS NECESSARY TO THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE FILTERBEFORE MAKING COFFEE FOR THE CELIAC CUSTOMER.